Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
January 16, 2022, 12:39:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Do you believe . . .

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Do you believe . . .  (Read 266 times)
Demeters Daughter

« on: March 31, 2009, 08:14:49 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I view the Bible as a set of analogies. I don't think it was meant to be taken literally, although I run into a lot of evangelists who claim just the opposite).

I also believe Jesus was an awesome man, a great person who did great things. But I just don't believe he was God incarnate, and I think his crucifixion was a political assassination. If you look at the political climate of the time in which he was supposedly living, that's the conclusion you will come to. I also view it as a suicide, if he really thought he could stop it and didn't.

But like I said, I don't like discussing religion, on the internet or irl. You can't argue with people's beliefs - faith is belief in the absence of proof, and if someone has that, you can't argue them out of it, nor should you try.

I also don't care for pushy atheists. They think that because they can fall back on science (supposedly) that they're smarter than people who abide by a different viewpoint or have faith in something they can't see. Some of the greatest thinkers and philosophers through the ages have been men of faith - Thomas Aquinas, St. Augustine, Voltaire... Blaise Pascal even tried to come up with mathematical proof of the existence of God (and failed). Many philosophers have tried and failed to prove or disprove the existence of a higher power. So people who are atheists who think they're more intelligent than those of us who believe in something inexplicable might want to hit the library and study up.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!