Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
October 17, 2021, 08:30:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Right to Die Case

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Right to Die Case  (Read 49 times)
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« on: August 14, 2009, 12:23:08 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Quadriplegic wins right to die
Posted 1 hour 2 minutes ago
Updated 17 minutes ago

A landmark decision in Western Australia's Supreme Court has given a Perth quadriplegic the right to refuse food from his care provider.

Forty-nine-year-old Christian Rossiter was given the approval on the condition he understands the consequences of his actions.

Mr Rossiter developed spastic quadriplegia after being hit by a car and is now fed through a tube in his stomach.

He wants to end his life and his care provider the Brightwater Nursing Home had asked the court whether it could legally stop feeding him.

In submissions to the court, Mr Rossiter's lawyer John Hammond said there was no lawful basis upon which Brightwater could ignore such a request.

'Victory for common sense'

Euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke says he is thrilled with the Supreme Court's decision.

"It's a very important decision and it's such a victory for common sense," he said.

"The idea that they would have come back with some direction that his wishes would not be complied with is just to awful to think about."

Dr Nitschke says it is reassuring for everyone involved.

"It's been made clear he can take it at any time and he can revoke it at any time," he said.

"I've been talking to him today and he was still at that stage asking questions about other options which he sees as being somewhat more appealing, such as going to Switzerland.

"He's been concerned about some problems there but I guess over the next course of time we will be getting some more evidence and information to him about that choice."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/14/2656334.htm?section=justin

I don't think it is a first....they already made decision that people could refuse treatment and force feeding.....

this isn't good enough....the way he has to die is WRONG when he can be aided.....omg, if vets did it this way, there would be an outrageous outcry.....

letting people die this way is exceptionally cruel....

and people who want the poor man to stay like this are absolutely evil....

What is wrong with them?....why do they fear death and dying so much?....especially the religious mongs who believe you go to a better place anyway...

I'm guessing if money can be raised....he might choose to go to Switzerland after hearing what starving to death will be like....

the lack of water will cause delirium….dying of thirst isn’t a good way to go….

If he does stay home and choose this way to die…..I hope the anti-euthanists hang their evil heads in shame.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!