Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 28, 2024, 03:16:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Travel

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Travel  (Read 2619 times)
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« on: March 01, 2009, 12:44:12 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Lets feature some great spots over our globe?

We have a place called "Wave Rock" in Western Australia and Apparently so do America, in Arizona which is pretty fanfoockingtastic....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_Rock

Wave Rock is a natural rock formation located east of the small town of Hyden in Western Australia. It derives its name from the fact that it is shaped like a tall breaking ocean wave. The total outcrop covers several hectares. The "wave" part of the rock is about 15 metres high and approximately 110 meters long.

The Wave, Arizona

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wave,_Arizona

The Wave is a sandstone formation on the slopes of the Coyote Buttes in the Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness, located in northern portion of the U.S. state of Arizona, just south of the Utah-Arizona border about halfway between Kanab, Utah and Page, Arizona.

This formation can be reached by hiking approximately 3 miles (4.8 kilometers) across rugged, trailless landscape, making the round-trip to and from The Wave a nearly 6-mile (9.7-kilometer) hike that climbs about 350 feet (107 meters) in altitude. The area can be really hot in summer (100 F +), so it is best to start the hike early. It is recommended to carry 1 gallon of water per person and lunch.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:13:45 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

This is WAVE ROCK WA, from another angel...

Wave Rock is composed of granite. It should be pointed out that the shape of the rock is not caused by a wave phenomenon, rather its rounded wave-like shape was formed by subsurface chemical weathering followed by removal of the soft weathered granite by fluvial erosion, thus the weathering occurred below ground level before it was exposed. The end result is an undercut base, leaving a rounded overhang.[1] Wave Rock is situated in Hyden,Western Australia and is not the only wave like rock in the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_Rock
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 02:21:03 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think I'll feature my state first, since it is my most favourite place on the planet.
Now about 5-10 minutes from me is Cottesloe Beach....a fantastic spot. My mother grew up here and was born at Cottesloe Hospital....and no, I don't use that as a secret password to any of my emails...LOL....

Trying to find a decent shot of the place is hard so I have managed to scrounge two decent views without showing the choppiness caused by the sea breeze [as some on the net show] or as locals call it, The Freo Doctor...the groyne showing in the picture is a place that nearly killed me once....I had jumped in the water on the opposite side and everytime I tried to pull myself out, the waves would smash me up against the rocks and then drag me back into the water..don't even bother to try to fight waves....you'll lose.

[/
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 02:30:10 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

On the otherside of the groyne is a surfing place called, "The Cove".....there is plenty of jagged reef there and the waves are OK but really only beginners waves, I would sayok, ok, sometimes they get big but nothing like Hawaii or Margaret River Western Australia.....because Margaret River is the place to surf in WA...
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 02:40:36 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Margaret River WA surfing

http://www.margaretriversurf.com.au/photo_gallery/photo_gallery.htm
Report Spam   Logged
arete
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 04:42:20 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

AWESOME pics!  I absolutely loved visiting Arizona.
BEAUTIFUL state.  Hot and dry but absolutely incredible.
California and Colorado are next on my agenda.
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 05:37:13 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I think it is pretty cool that both American and Australia have "Wave Rocks"
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:29:20 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

When I was a kid, my widow mother remarried and my step father wanted to go to New Guninea with his job and I put up a contest at the time. I didn't want to go to New Guinea and obviously mum didn't want to leave our home either. I am glad we didn't go because they had serious civil unrest and the natives were raping and murdering everyone the next year after he was asked to go...someone up above was looking out for us, I think..

Anyways, here is Port Moresby. This is a picture of the remains of a WW2 bunker..

I love ruins and landmarks and icons like this. I wonder why? I grew up with a destroyed jetty close to my grandmothers house.....destroyed so that the Japanese couldn't land....pretty cool.....it is still there too. That must be the reason why I love pictures like this.

I think I'd be too scared to live over water like this after seeing Tidal Waves take out places. That is just asking for trouble if you ask me. Interesting just the same.

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 03:09:02 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

This the old jetty that was wrecked so the Japanese couldn't land. They left some of it in the water and now it is a landmark to a little history. The marina in the background wasn't there when I was growing up. The beaches were whiter than snow. The marinar has caused the beach to be stained with oil from the boats BUT either side of the marinar is still whiter than snow. I had the opportunity of buying here after the house burned down because over 1/2 acre blocks of land at South Beach were going for 30,000...but I chose to stay and build on my property...those blocks aren't 30,000 now though.

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:24:53 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I get so excited seeing old retained building from former days. Thanks God for historical societies retaining all these fantastic buildings amongst the multi-million dollar homes we have now.

This is a dunny, an outhouse to Americans…Imagine being pregnant and in the middle of winter in the middle of the night needing to use one…..YUK!

This is typical of any old buildings still laying around…Port Denison/Dongara was a coastal town so farmers spent their holidays amongst the fishermen….great times in a great spot on our lovely planet.

Report Spam   Logged
bella
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 06:08:57 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

glorious photos!  thank you  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
arete
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 07:48:39 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hell, I can't even imagine having to go out and
use one of those NON pregnant & not in the middle
of the night.  Thank God for indoor plumbing.
Report Spam   Logged
BallBag
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 10:01:27 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Hell, I can't even imagine having to go out and
use one of those NON pregnant & not in the middle
of the night.  Thank God for indoor plumbing.

You don't go camping?
Report Spam   Logged
Outlawed
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 01:32:05 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I like to travel.

I have some pics to post later.
Report Spam   Logged
arete
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 02:57:58 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've gone camping but usually they have one of those
big bathrooms with showers and stalls and sinks & electricity.
I guess I've not really roughed it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!