Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 28, 2024, 10:14:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

PETA's push to rename fish 'sea kittens'

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: PETA's push to rename fish 'sea kittens'  (Read 589 times)
Outlawed
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:17:59 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

PETA's push to rename fish 'sea kittens'   
By Cathy Alexander

January 09, 2009

A CAMPAIGN to rename fish as "sea kittens" in order to improve their image has been ridiculed by the Federal Opposition.

Outspoken animal rights group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is using the "sea kitten" name as part of its push to restrict fishing.

"Nobody would hurt a sea kitten!" the group says on its website.

"People don't seem to like fish.

"We're going to start by retiring the old name for good.

"When your name can also be used as a verb that means driving a hook through your head, it's time for a serious image makeover."

The website features images of fish with cats' whiskers and ears.

PETA is using the campaign to entice people to sign a petition calling on the US Fish and Wildlife Service to stop promoting "the hunting of sea kittens (otherwise known as fishing)"

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24891359-421,00.html

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 12:19:40 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Of course we like fish you friggen nutters.

We like them crumbed and oven baked....we like them battered and splattered with tartare sauce....and we like them shelled too....garlic prawns, crayfish mornay, crab cocktails....

yum, yum!!!

Report Spam   Logged
«ŠÞëärƒïsh»

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:25:54 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

PETA petitions Spearfish school to change name to Sea Kitten High
By Journal staff | Thursday, January 08, 2009
"Is this a joke?" was the reaction in Spearfish on Wednesday to an effort to get the high school to change its name to something more cuddly.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said it faxed a letter to Spearfish High School Principal Steve Morford, asking the school to "adopt a new name to reflect the gentle nature of its current marine namesake."

The school should be renamed "Sea Kitten High School," PETA said, as part of its new Sea Kitten campaign aimed at children.
Is this a joke? Apparently not.
If children were taught to refer to fish as "sea kittens," reflecting that fish, like cats and dogs, are "individuals" that "do have friendships," fewer fish might be killed for food or sport, PETA spokesman Pulin Modi said.
"We want people to realize that more fish are killed each year than all animals combined," he said. "They don't have the sympathy of more popular animals like cats and dogs."

http://www.rapidcityjourn...96507e67d4c0852005061.txt
Report Spam   Logged
«ŠÞëärƒïsh»

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 09:29:05 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

The link isn't working:

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/01/07/news/top/doc496507e67d4c0852005061.txt
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 03:15:36 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I can't believe they are giving into any lunacy by crackpots...

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/articles/2009/01/07/news/top/doc496507e67d4c0852005061.txt

PETA petitions Spearfish school to change name to Sea Kitten High

“Is this a joke?” was the reaction in Spearfish Wednesday to an effort to get the high school to change its name to something more cuddly.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals faxed a letter to Spearfish High School Principal Steve Morford asking the school to “adopt a new name to reflect the gentle nature of its current marine namesake.”

The school should be renamed “Sea Kitten High School,” PETA said, as part of its new Sea Kitten campaign aimed at children.

Is this a joke? Apparently not.

If children were taught to refer to fish as “sea kittens,” reflecting that fish, like cats and dogs, are “individuals” that “do have friendships,” fewer fish might be killed for food or sport, PETA spokesman Pulin Modi said.

“We want people to realize that more fish are killed each year than all animals combined,” he said. “They don’t have the sympathy of more popular animals like cats and dogs.”

Wednesday afternoon, Principal Morford said he hadn’t yet seen the fax.

Several calls about the effort had interrupted his work day. He said he wouldn’t share his feelings about PETA, but said, “Obviously, it’s nothing we’re taking seriously.”

Morford said the school’s students, who have access to laptops and the Internet at school, had started to talk about the assault on their school’s name.

Zach Retzl, a senior, hadn’t heard about the suggestion but said he didn’t think it would catch on.

“It’s so illogical that it’s hard to comprehend it,” he said. “I really don’t think any student would necessarily go for that.”

He said the school is just named for the town, and doesn’t promote hunting or fishing.

“I would say it probably has something to do with Native Americans and what they did to hunt for food to survive,” Retzl said.

Changing the school name, he said, “I just think it’s a pretty ridiculous idea.”

A similar letter was sent to the principal of Whitefish High School in Whitefish, Mont., near Glacier National Park.

Whitefish schools Superintendent Jerry House said he thinks all of Whitefish should consider the new name, but he suggested White Kitten, rather than Sea Kitten, as Whitefish is so far from the coast.

“White Kitten High School, the White Kitten City Council, the White Kitten Fire Department – it has a certain ring to it, don’t you think?”

Break the politically correct law, House said, “and you’ll be arrested by the White Kitten Police Department, and taken to the White Kitten Jail, where you’ll be treated with soft, furry paws and a purr of compassion.”

Last summer, Whitefish High played host to a conference of the National Federation of Fly-Fishers. In a town so reliant upon tourism and conventions, House suggested the new name could bring in similar new business.

“Next year, maybe we’ll get the National Federation of Sea Kittens,” he said. “The fur will be flying, and they’ll have scratching post exhibits.

“But,” he warned, “we’re going to have to bring in lots and lots of litter boxes.”

The Missoulian newspaper contributed to this report.

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 03:22:02 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Spearfish,

check my comment if it appears....I wrote to the paper. I hope my comment gets published....this was my comment...

If PETA want to do something constructive towards the marine environment, they’d be educating people to use less plastic that ends up in the ocean, killing more fish than any other thing on the planet. In fact it is people like PETA who encouraged man made fibre to replace natural animal fibre and leathers that are now choking our planet to bits….Yeah, thanks misguided PETA for getting it WRONG.
Report Spam   Logged
«ŠÞëärƒïsh»

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 09:24:24 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's there!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:34 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's there!  Grin

Yippeeeee!!

I hope PETA got the message.
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 03:56:02 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

The world's largest fish market is reversing a month-old ban on tourists at its riotous early-morning auctions.

Tsukiji market in the Japanese capital Tokyo had accused tourists of flouting hygiene rules and causing disruption with flash photography.

Some tourists had been caught hugging, licking and even riding the huge frozen tuna that are Tsukiji's most arresting sight, an official said"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7822753.stm
Report Spam   Logged
raven

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 08:26:29 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

lmao sometimes I wonder why I belong to PETA...  then I remember that they've done a world of good on some causes some of them are so absurd that its embarasing

I'm with you cathy I love sea kittens dipped in  tempua batter and deep fat fried Grin
Report Spam   Logged
arete
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 12:12:41 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

It's ridiculous. 
Report Spam   Logged
caskur
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 05:47:25 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Girls, maybe they just seeking their 15 minutes of fame.

If you are in the organization, keep them on the right track by

making them stick to the agenda which is cruelty to animals.

Quick deaths to animals is humane. Keeping animals comfortable is humane.
Report Spam   Logged

«ŠÞëärƒïsh»

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 08:19:51 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Spartan-Sea Kitten battle renewed
PETA sends its own T-shirts to Spearfish High
By Mark Watson
Black Hills Pioneer
SPEARFISH - "Try ours on for size."
That's the message that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals sent to Spearfish High School students after they grilled the organization over the school's mascot.
On Jan. 15 Spearfish High School students and parents sold T-Shirts stating "Spearfish Sea Kittens on a stick since 1976," on the front, with the back showing "Hey PETA, we are Spearfish High School Always have been and always will be."
But Wednesday the organization said it sent its own style of T-shirt to the school.
"After learning that Spearfish High School students are attempting to raise money by selling T-shirts that poke fun at PETA's request to change the school's name to 'Sea Kitten High School,' the animal rights group has sent two dozen of its own 'Save the Sea Kittens' shirts to Principal Steve Morford. PETA is urging the principal to offer the shirts as an alternative for students who are sympathetic to PETA's cause," a press release stated.
"Even though our request to change the name of the school was tongue-in-cheek, our message urging compassion for our finned friends is quite serious," said Ashley Byrne, the coordinator of PETA's Sea Kitten campaign.
The first 150 shirts created by the students sold out the first night. Another 90 sold this week and now another 125 are on order and will be ready Friday night when the Spartans host the Sturgis Scoopers in a basketball tilt. Proceeds will be used to put a Spartan head on the sidewalk in front of the gym.

http://www.bhpioneer.com/articles/2009/01/21/breaking_news/doc49779c19c27f8120767904.txt
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 01:21:36 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I modified Spearfish's post because the link made that a wide post causing that stupid slide thing.

I changed the font size from 10 to 6.
anyone widening their screen can do that themselves with their modify
feature.....just type over the number with a smaller one.
Report Spam   Logged
arete
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 01:37:29 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

My
scrunched up posts prevent
me from stretchinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn things out to here and beyond!

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!