Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 19, 2024, 06:08:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

$1 Billion for Aboriginal housing

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: $1 Billion for Aboriginal housing  (Read 335 times)
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« on: December 10, 2008, 04:31:22 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

$1b needed to fix Aboriginal houses
10th December 2008, 6:15 WST

Taxpayers could face a bill of about $1 billion to replace or upgrade more than 2000 dilapidated houses in remote WA indigenous communities, including many homes that have been abandoned.

In a scathing report based on an audit of Aboriginal housing, the Department of Housing and Works has condemned successive governments for adopting a “build and abandon” policy in outposts, claiming that homes had been constructed without a program or budget for maintenance.

The department acknowledged that Aboriginal tenants had contributed to the debacle, stating there was now an epidemic of abandoned houses in indigenous communities that were so run-down they posed health and safety risks.

The result was an enormous bill for taxpayers, equating to about $225,000 to bring each house up to standard.

The audit involved teams of qualified tradespeople and support staff assessing 2400 dwellings in 130 communities in which the State Government had some responsibility for housing, covering a massive area from the Goldfields north to the Kimberley. About 90 per cent of the homes needed major repairs.

Housing and Works Minister Troy Buswell said the program would be a “massive funding requirement” and the State Government would need help from the Commonwealth.

While the repairs would cost around $500 million, Mr Buswell warned yesterday that the final bill could hit $1 billion once essential services were either provided or restored.

He had received preliminary advice that the cost of ensuring proper power, sewerage, water and other services to remote communities would be a multiple of $500 million.

The report criticised the Commonwealth’s development of about 100 Aboriginal “outstations” of one to five houses in isolated parts of WA.

“These outstations were established by the Commonwealth in the 1990s with no planning or provision for the capital and recurrent costs of maintaining the houses and supplying essential services,” the report said.

It also highlighted that many communities had been provided with houses but no access to potable water, essential services, education, employment, police and justice services.

Mr Buswell stressed it was time the Federal and State governments ended the blame game over who was responsible for the situation.

“What this indicates is the extent of the challenge and the fact that, historically, the provision of remote indigenous housing has been going backwards,” he said. “There is a clear indication from the Federal Government that they want to pursue their ‘Closing The Gap’ agenda, which we support. Housing is a fundamental building block in closing the gap.”

The audit, which cost $2.8 million, was conducted in consultation with the Commonwealth to provide an indication of the funding WA would need from the Federal Government to fix indigenous housing. The final cost could be considerably discounted if both governments agreed that some communities were not viable.

A spokeswoman for Indigenous Affairs Minister Jenny Macklin said yesterday that the Federal Government was providing $1.94 billion in new funding over 10 years to the States and Territories for indigenous housing in remote Australia but she could not say how much of this would flow to WA.

She said up to 4200 new houses and 4800 major upgrades to existing houses would be completed in a program due to start early next year.

“The Government is determined to address the appalling living conditions in remote indigenous communities,” she said.

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=2&ContentID=112392
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:34:05 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

This was given to an aborigine family. The picture was taken 5 minutes after the last tradesmen left and 10 minutes before the family pulled up…..they started moving in straight away before the landscaping was done.

The first thing the kids did was remove the fly wire screens.

I have to go through my files to find all the pictures of the condition of the house, 18 months later, so bear with me please.

Here is one bedroom door...btw, this place is a 4 bedroom, brick and tile, with 1 bathroom and two toilets.

this was one toilet. They didn't use toilet paper, they used news paper sheets which are strewn over the floor.

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:36:18 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

this was the brick letter box that the kids chipped off the corners, rounding them.

this was a cupboard left like a **** hole with cockroaches dead bodies and cockroach poo.

This was the kitchen floor....it looks like poop but it is actually ochre for paintings..

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:38:22 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

This was the laundry sink left with soaking pots, fat congealed all over.

This was the state of their front yard when they left it, with a big sign in cardboard about all us in the street being white racist cunts and that made the local rag newspaper...their place was beautifully landscaped with reticulation and the works...the kids ripped up the reticulation the same week it was put in and crushed all the new garden.

This is the street scape of the other plush residents…..Now at the same time and next door to me, overseas students lived and saw for themselves how abos are given fantastic homes other people in the world would kill for…and managed to trash them within months

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:40:02 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

This was the family that was moved on creating havoc in their new neighbourhood and claiming victimization.

And this is the place today, minus the pepper tree that was unfortunately remove....which happened to be a heritage tree. The new people have beent there 2 yrs and keep the place immaculate. If only they'd been given the house first, who knows how beautiful it would look today with free reticulation and landscaping.

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:37:41 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Caskur,

I may have related the time I went to Oodnadatta, east of Coober Pedy on the Oodnadatta Track.

Three weatherboard homes had been trashed to the extent that you could see right through walls/frame of the house to the back fence. The next three blocks had 3 concrete slabs, metal frames and stacks of bricks and tiles waiting.

The land has no real value, but such an isolated building site has the cost at about $350,000 EACH!

Guess who pays for that,  and i will bet a zillion dollars they are the same as your examples by now also.

OC

OC,

My husband’s father who came to Australia on a program to build kit homes for state housing back in the early fifties, worked as a carpenter for Jaxon & Watson Constructions in the late 1960’s and used to have to go and refit houses because the abos used to rip the floorboards and architraves up, to burn..

The house I have showed in my street is only one of many beautifully crafted homes made for boongs only to be trashed within a year. There is one in the next street that was so beautifully crafted, land scaped with a fabulous iron fence, now completely trashed and the iron fence GONE. There was actually a murder at that house too.

Actually, spending a 1 billion on keeping them in the outback couldn’t be a better solution….the other alternative is to bring them to the city…YIKES.

I personally would find an island somewhere away from the rest of the planet and stick them on it…I kid you not.

**** abos are exactly as Buzz describes them and it is about time people started telling it as it really is.

The family I have written about DID have a new car and within 1 month…EVERY single panel was kicked in. The kids were given brand new bikes and the first day they had punctured the tyres and were making swings with the tubes. What my pictures didn’t show were the bathroom that had chipped tiles and the shower head was missing….I mean, ffs, why did a shower head get destroyed….who the hell destroys a shower head?

Are there respectable normal hard working aborigines…of course there are and I know them too. They’re the ones that tell my Taxi driver uncle NOT to bring any abos around to their house.

When that family moved in across road, I balled my eyes out for a week, I'm not ashamed to say and I rang Alan Carpenter [my member and Premier of the State at the time] and cried on his shoulder so our situation was monitored.

Ten minutes before they moved in…

After they left

Today, Portuguese live there

Genocide?

How about houseOcide?

Wankers!

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!