Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 19, 2024, 06:37:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

'Definitely' is most commonly misspelt word

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 'Definitely' is most commonly misspelt word  (Read 207 times)
BallBag
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:51:32 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

'Definitely' is most commonly misspelt word 'Definitely' is the most commonly misspelt word in the English language, a study has found.

Published: 8:32AM BST 15 Jun 2009

The 10-letter word came top in a study of everyday words Britons struggle to spell correctly, with most of us regularly mixing up the second 'I' with an 'A' on a regular basis.

Second place was 'sacrilegious', which leaves people confused over whether it has an 'E' or 'I' in the middle.

'Indict', which is often misspelt as 'indite', was third.

The fourth most difficult word was 'manoeuvre' which causes problems due to the proximity of the 'O' and 'E' to each other.

'Bureaucracy', which is awkward because the inclusion of so many vowels, was fifth.

A spokesperson for market research company www.OnePoll.com, which carried out the study of 5,000 people, said: "So many of us can't seem to spell.

"Whether it is down to the structure of the word, or the frequency of use, there is no excuse not to learn how they are formed.

"And considering people judge others, yet don't like their intelligence to be judged by how well they spell, they should up their game and pick up a dictionary."

The vegetable 'broccoli' – came sixth, followed by 'phlegm' at seven and 'prejudice' at eight.

'Consensus' and 'unnecessary' completed the top ten.

Other difficult words to feature in the poll include 'supersede' at 11, 'connoisseur' at 15 and 'particularly' at 17.

Confusion over the number of Ns in 'questionnaire' meant it came twelfth, with 'entrepreneur' fourteenth and 'parallel' at 19.

The survey revealed some very odd ways the nation spells words which just failed to make the top 20.

Nearly one in 10 (nine per cent) thought 'mortgage' was spelt 'morgauge' and seven per cent often spell 'speech' as 'speach'.

Ninety per cent admit to giving up trying to spell 'diarrhoea' and a third get it so wrong their PC spellchecker can't even recognise the word they're attempting to conquer.

The research also found 57 per cent judge other people on their spelling, with 42 per cent admitting they believe people who can't spell are 'thick'.

Oddly enough, most Brits rate their spelling as 'good'.

Half of Brits admit the spell-check and auto-correcting on computers is to blame for their laziness in not checking spelling.

One in three reckon predictive text messaging and 'text speak' are to blame for terrible spelling in the real world.

Over three-quarters of the adults polled (78 per cent) said women are generally better at spelling than men.

Six out of ten said they were embarrassed by their poor spelling skills and one in ten corrected others when they spell something incorrectly and yet a third are irritated by being correct themselves.

Worryingly, a third believe the art of spelling is something 'you just learn in school'.

A spokesperson for www.OnePoll.com added: "It's clear the role technology is having on our lives is contributing to the downfall of our ability to spell.

"It often comes down to picking up bad habits earlier on in life which are difficult to shrug off.

"Computers and mobile phones which spell words for us has left us with a lazy attitude towards spelling."

TOP 20 MISSPELT WORDS

1. Definitely

2. Sacrilegious

3. Indict

4. Manoeuvre

5. Bureaucracy

6. Broccoli

7. Phlegm

8. Prejudice

9. Consensus

10. Unnecessary

11. Supersede

12. Questionnaire

13. Lieutenant

14. Entrepreneur

15. Connoisseur

16. Inoculate

17. Particularly

18. Liquify

19. Parallel

20. Conscience

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/5538890/Definitely-is-most-commonly-misspelt-word.html

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 01:20:02 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yeah, they are fairly hard to spell...

My biggest problem is "ences" and "ances" at the end of words...I always have to double check them.

I didn't realize how bad it was until I went back to school and wrote "Sentence"...was it "sentance," or "sentence"? and that was the first time I consciously remembered to write "sentence" so now I never make the mistake...with that word, at any rate...

Someone at NTB once said I wrote separate WRONG...I didn't...I wrote it correctly because that was one word teachers taught us early in life to spell correctly...That poster was "Horse"...real name Ross....I wonder where he went?...he was a good poster....I used to like him but sometimes he used to explode and I mean "explode"....he could really get nasty....he was an original DrJack's ANTB crew...[Aussie News Talkback]....he was a philosopher and real lateral thinker....we talked about living in a bubble...or "dome" and how to design one that could sustain life...I found that completely fascinating.....I like people who try and think outside the box.....Horse lived on the eastern coast of Australia...married with 3 kids [girls]...he owned a business "pet shop'....I think his addiction to the net was causing trouble in his marriage too....
Report Spam   Logged
icy

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:17:02 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

yah those "ences" and "ances"
suck.  If it looks right to me I just
figure it's good enough and if I wasn't
sure than most likely you won't be either.

hehe
Report Spam   Logged

caskur
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:24:16 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

The rule for who and whom always causes dilemma.
Report Spam   Logged

icy

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 10:34:01 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

DEFINITELY

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!