Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 28, 2024, 02:41:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Zimbabwe on brink of mass starvation: UN

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Zimbabwe on brink of mass starvation: UN  (Read 156 times)
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« on: November 15, 2008, 06:27:50 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Zimbabwe on brink of mass starvation: UN

By Africa correspondent Andrew Geoghegan

The United Nations food agency has warned it is running out of funds needed to feed millions of starving Zimbabweans.

The UN's World Food Program is expected to feed 4 million Zimbabweans this month and more than 5 million, or around half the population, by the new year.

But the UN agency says that without additional funding of $140 million it will be unable to supply emergency aid at a time when the food crisis reaches its peak.

Rations have already been cut to those who are in desperate need of food.

Aid groups report people are now competing with animals for anything that is edible.

The World Food Program's Richard Lee has told Radio National that many Zimbabweans are completely reliant on international food aid.

"So really it is absolutely crucial that we can continue to provide assistance to people in Zimbabwe and we can do it if we get the resources," he said.

"We have the logistics in place, we have the NGO partners in place, we have all our beneficiaries registered.

"All we need is the sufficient resources and then we will be able to get enough food into the country to prevent this crisis from becoming a disaster."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/11/12/2417076.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

caskur
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:38:04 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I see Altair over at another forum yammering  on about delivering aid to them if they ask for it for the sake of the children. Again, children are used to tug sympathy strings.

I have a hard time thinking that he is serious when Zimbabwe is part of a huge, continent with a massive population and they cannot help from the countries there and wouldn’t transportation be cheaper?.

I don’t believe they should help. Not for being mean spirited but rather from the sickness that these people. Mugabe is a monster. 20 yrs he has held power and what did he do with that power? He abused it like all despots before him. A lot have AIDS there. I wonder what the Rhodes Scholars think of this one. They got it so wrong.

I feel the Western Countries demand the leaders of the African countries help. That is who should help.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!