Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 29, 2024, 07:15:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Why Bother Sending Aid?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bother Sending Aid?  (Read 205 times)
caskur
Administrator

« on: October 20, 2008, 01:34:38 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

http://www.terradaily.com/reports/Sri_Lanka_destroys_food_aid_withheld_from_tsunami_victims_999.html

Sri Lanka destroys food aid withheld from tsunami victims

by Staff Writers
Colombo (AFP) Oct 17, 2008

Sri Lanka said Friday it would destroy a consignment of more than five tonnes of rotting rice and lentils meant for victims of the December 2004 Asian tsunami.
District officials in the southern city of Galle said the food aid had not been distributed among the needy in the coastal town of Habaraduwa due to bureaucratic bungling.

"It's the fault of the cooperative society in Habaraduwa which was supposed to distribute the rice and lentils, but for some reason they have not done their job and try to blame us," district official Saman Jayasekara told AFP.

Independent auditors have reported that only a fraction of the outpouring of international and local aid for victims of the tsunami here actually reached the intended recipients. 

A spokesman for the Habaraduwa cooperative society, Samantha Weligamage, said it was sent the food stocks by the district secretariat, which coordinated tsunami aid without any instructions on how to distribute the food.

"The tinned fish we got was already unsuitable for consumption. We have returned the rice and lentils and they have also been declared unfit for human consumption now," Weligamage said.

He said the food had originally come from the World Food Program.

There was no immediate comment from the World Food Program which took a lead role in distributing food to one million people in Sri Lanka, one of the worst affected by the tsunami that killed an estimated 31,000 people.

The state auditor general in September 2005 noted out of 1.16 billion dollars committed to assist Sri Lankan victims, only 13.5 percent had actually been spent.

Since then, there have been no audit reports published on tsunami aid.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 01:48:32 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

You can ask anyone you like who knows me from M$N how I loathe “aid” being sent anywhere…It isn’t that I am mean, far, far from it, it is that I know damn well the victims do not get “aid” and I’ve known that for 25 yrs…..but more importantly, I really became aware of it in the Bosnian war when “aid” was confiscated by the army and the sold to the needy….NOT given to the needy….when the army steal and sell “aid” it goes to buying weapons and ammunition……

My philosophy is, support visible situations in your own neighbourhood….really, that is the only way it can be done. I’ve really thought this one through….a lot.

I remember at the time when the Tidal wave, Tsunami hit Indonesia and Thailand and India [Sri Lanka]….the Indian government said they do not require aid from the rest of the world…and why is that? Well, because there is a nation there of over 1 billion people that were already in a situation to help….it would be the same as if my city was wiped out from a natural disaster……who are we going to call on? Sri Lanka???….hell no, but our fellow countrymen would assist us….so why isn’t this happening in other so called “developing countries”….I’ll tell you why…..because their “neighbours” couldn’t give a **** what is happening on their own doorsteps…..it is really that simple.

They don’t want their poor….as far they are concerned, they’d rather them starve..

ooo nothing makes my blood boil more than seeing or hearing about these stories...
Report Spam   Logged
Outlawed
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 02:45:53 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I know in some organizations,

the administrations get up to 80 % of the donation.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!