Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 28, 2024, 03:37:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

New York Times - Perth makes Top 10 list

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New York Times - Perth makes Top 10 list  (Read 281 times)
caskur
Administrator

« on: January 12, 2014, 02:44:48 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/perth-makes-top-10-of-the-new-york-times-list-of-52-places-to-visit-in-2014/story-fnhocxo3-1226799993951

Perth makes top 10 of The New York Times' list of 52 places to visit in 2014

ALEXA COETSEE and PETER LAW
    PerthNow
    January 12, 2014 11:21AM

PERTH has made the top 10 of The New York Times' list of 52 Places to Go in 2014.

The WA capital was ranked No. 9 and was the only Australian city to be included.

It lauded Perth as "exhibiting the signs of a trendy transformation", citing chef Jamie Oliver's decision to open a restaurant here and bars such as Print Hall and The Stables Bar popping up in rejuvenated buildings.

Mount Lawley and Northbridge get a mention, described as "chockablock with cafes and vintage shops."

The Riverside project, which will infuse "the eastern side of the city with parks, shops and housing plazas" and the expansion of Crown Perth are also mentioned.

Cape Town in South Africa topped the list, followed by Christchurch, the northern coast of California, the Albanian coast and Downtown Los Angeles.

The 52 Places to Go list is compiled by the influential publication's travel editors.

Meanwhile, Perth Lord Mayor Lisa Scaffidi said WA had to lift its game when it came to attracting tourists from the US.

Speaking from the G'Day USA summit in Los Angeles yesterday, Ms Scaffidi said we needed to be smarter and more innovative in selling what we have to offer.

Ms Scaffidi was rubbing shoulders with Australian celebrities including Kylie Minogue, Geoffrey Rush and Cate Blanchett at the two-day event, which ended last night.

The City of Perth spent $55,000 sponsoring G'Day USA to bring a national focus and WA presence to the star-studded bash.

Ms Scaffidi said Perth's booming culinary scene meant it was well placed to capitalise on the growing demand for food and wine experiences.

Tourism WA chief executive officer Stephanie Buckland, who is from Pennsylvania, said the organisation had put a "very, very targeted" focus on the American market since 2009.

"I know a little bit about how Americans travel," she said.

Must have been voted before the bush fires in the hills.

lololololol...

No doubt the world is focused here in Perth because of the Great White Pointer shark and Bull Shark cull. (Good Riddance I say)...

Personally I think our sky scrappers are ugly... I think it's an ugly skyline and there are always those ugly cranes on top of buildings one of my dad's cousins invented... UGH...

Kings Park is pretty cool. I took some images a few weeks ago overlooking the ugly skyline.

Horrible Skyline from the one of the biggest natural Parks in the World… It is true though, we do have EXCELLENT restaurants. Tonight I went to one with 13 people. I’m still burping the dinner and it was 5.5 hours ago.  The river and historical building are awesome. And of course the beaches are stunning.  I want to buy an inner city apartment in Perth. Maybe!!!

The big drawback is, it’s not cheap here. We could brag one time about being cheap but not anymore. The good days are over!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!