Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 28, 2024, 08:00:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Alzheimers - Ever worry you might end up that way?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Alzheimers - Ever worry you might end up that way?  (Read 440 times)
zerotolerance

« on: June 17, 2011, 08:31:50 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

My grandma had dementia.  It was so sad to see her slip away from us long before passing.  She was never diagnosed with Alzheimers that I am aware of, but I know I don't want to end up that way.  A friend of mine recently informed me of a study about a chemical in cinnamon which was done on labrats.  I went googling and found this link to an alzheimers newsfeed.  There are probably more out there.

http://alzcare.net/newsfeed2

Here's a link about spices and this is the cinnamon page: http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/salts/antioxidant-spices-cinnamon.asp

Here is one on turmeric: http://www.ehow.com/way_5345149_turmeric-alzheimers-cure.html

I have a new list for the shopping trip because I was actually almost out of cinnamon.   Coffee is my morning beverage and today I added about a tablespoon of cinnamon to my 6 cup pot. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:32:53 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I personally think its catching...

there is a woman on Megan's board that help diagnose it...

I told her my theory.

I came up with my theory because a friend of mine had all 4 grandparents with Alzheimers at the same time and none of them were genetically tied.

Also, a husband sharing a room with his Alzheimers patient wife at an old peoples home, started to be develop the condition too...

none of my grandparents became afflicted.

they are worried about Alzheimers becoming a HUGE problem everywhere in the western nations.
Report Spam   Logged
zerotolerance

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:36:46 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

They say the debris from dying brain cells forms plaques that aren't flushed out in people with Alzheimers.  I know Aluminum can influence it but never heard of a microbe.  Read anything to support that theory?
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 12:02:49 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

the aluminium theory was debunct years ago..

no one has heard of it because as far as I know, I am the only one that has concluded that.

I conclude things by observation...

only new brain cells die... the old ones don't die...they have been stored...once a brain cell is made in a healthy brain, its stored forever and isn't lost unless your brain has been injured... everytime you hear something, a cell is being made and stored... in Alzheimers, its made and doesn't live very long, so it dies...hence the build up of the brown matter they found.. I suppose..

when you develop Alzheimers, its lifespan is 12 yrs.. then you die.
Report Spam   Logged
zerotolerance

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 07:41:18 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Kathy I went searching and read some interesting stuff about the production of new brain cells.  This isn't the only thing I found but thought this might tie in with what you are saying:

New brain cells die without a job to do

16 August 2006
    Magazine issue 2565. Subscribe and save

Pictures of spreads from New Scientist magazine

When it comes to brainpower they say you either use it or lose it. Now a study in mice suggests that the survival of newly formed adult brain cells depends on the amount of input they receive.

Fred Gage of the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, California, and his colleagues infected genetically engineered mice with a virus that stops new brain cells from producing NMDA receptors - proteins that sit on the surface of brain cells and help them communicate with each other. The virus used infects only newly generated cells, leaving other cells untouched.

Infected cells that lacked NMDA receptors died sooner than their normal counterparts, suggesting that communication is essential for survival (Nature, DOI: 10.1038/nature05028).

To confirm this the researchers injected some of the virus-infected mice with a compound that blocks all NMDA receptors. They found this increased the survival rate of the brain cells ...
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19125655.000-new-brain-cells-die-without-a-job-to-do.html
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!