Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
April 18, 2024, 02:05:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Judge threatens **** victim with jail if she doesnt testify

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Judge threatens **** victim with jail if she doesnt testify  (Read 364 times)
zerotolerance

« on: May 21, 2011, 08:39:25 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Judge threatens **** victim with jail if she doesnt testify

A **** support group has reacted with fury after a judge in Nebraska threatened to send an alleged sexual assault victim to jail if she doesn't testify.

Victim advocates said the decision could backfire and discourage other women from reporting **** and sexual assault.

The 24-year-old woman, from Kansas, is appealing against the contempt order, saying that testifying about the sexual abuse she endured as a child would cause her deep humiliation.
In his ruling, Lancaster County District Judge Paul Merritt said the charges against her alleged attacker hinge on the woman's testimony.
But president and founder of the ****, Abuse And Incest National Network (RAINN), Scott Berkowitz, said the judge's actions will make the criminal justice system even more daunting to **** victims who are already reluctant to report assaults.
Mr Berkowitz said: 'It's very rare for a judge to hold a victim in contempt and it's counter-productive.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1374771/Judge-threatens-****-victim-jail-doesn-t-testify.html

So, my question is, how many innocent victims of a serious crime go to jail in the USA?

I don't know the answer to that but I do know we have innocence projects working around the country to free the ones who are.  And, since DNA evidence is available, people are being cleared who have been in prison for years.  I just read about a Texas case someone on facebook posted: http://www.dnatestingblog.com/dna-evidence-exonerates-cornelius-dupree-after-30-years-in-jail/  That is not the exact article.  I googled and found that site. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!