Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
April 18, 2024, 07:37:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

I'm worried about Bees

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: I'm worried about Bees  (Read 317 times)
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« on: March 08, 2011, 07:58:21 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have this new admiration for bees. They’ve been getting some nasty publicity recently and it appears that over the planet the poor little venom infested  stingers are being murdered by a vicious parasite.
varroa dorsal -  VVV Images VVV - 

http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/bees/varroa_mite.htm

I went to investigate our Australian native bees, only to discover we have over 1,500 varieties… gulp.

If there are over 15 hundred variety of natives, how many make up the introduced species? Australia doesn’t have “Bumble Bees”

Authorities are worried that bees populations are declining and since bees are responsible for 80% of our food, this is indeed a massive crisis… they would also be responsible for food for animals as well… forget the world dying from, floods, earthquakes, and storms… it’s the lack of good food producing bees that might eventually make us all extinct… just another thing in the long line of concerns to add to our precarious survival,…..holy ****…

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 01:34:45 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Quote from: montag board=chat thread=6727 post=127249 time=1299634819
Nice pics Cas. Remember to squeeze and not pull if one gets you.

One from my back garden.....it's one of three that lives there. It's the middle one and I'm assuming it's the mother of the smaller one. The big one that rarely ventures far is about twice this ones size.

This one comes down from it's tree every day and goes for a walk around my yard.....and over the top of my house!

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 03:40:34 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I caught a wasp today by accident… he just flew right on into the shot and the setting were right…yaay… these buggers are hard to capture…the little squirts are faster than bees at gettaways…lol

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 08:49:51 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

This moth is sitting about  6 feet from me on my dust choked and crud covered fly wire door…

The setting was macro night time shot..

This was a fly on my Coral Vine… I have no idea what type it is but its colourful and disgusting at the same time…

today I got a native bee but I had the camera on the wrong settings so he is blurred..... he was nice and very close but I had the camera on zoom lense...

I caught this one late this afternoon.... its not a great picture composition wise but its a funny picture because the flower looks like it has a hold of the bees head...lol

Report Spam   Logged
«ŠÞëärƒïsh»

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 07:12:16 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

All are GREAT pictures!
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 07:30:52 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Yes, once you get to learn to use your equipment, it starts to be more fun with more successful images...

I have much better pictures but I want to jazz them up arty farty style and then have them printed out and framed.

I get a bit frustrated with the birds and the bees though, they move quicker than the camera or I can handle....lol

This was the failed native bee picture… I was in the middle of doing something else, not super macros and he flew in so I snapped him anyway… even if I had the camera on macro, he was far, far too fast to line up and capture…

I managed to find the name of the moth I captured and I think mine in the post above is the best so far….

Hippotion celerio or Vine Hawk Moth…. I feel pretty special capturing it. My sister saw it first and said, here, take a picture of the moth as she went out side for a ciggie….lol

This is the picture from the side…. The flash took out the belly but the eye is pretty interesting, I think…

Sorry about the shitty background but this little large moth won’t be pinned to a board… he or she will be allowed to live his or her life and raise a little family…

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 12:03:20 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

These guys allow you photograph them... they're not camera shy.. the opal skites.  Grin

Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 05:02:39 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

This was a a blowie today and I got her wings, however, the front end had started to lift off… this one was too toe-ee to be filmed..

Some nice bee shots..

And my favourite today is

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!