Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 29, 2024, 03:27:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Mad cow change concerns prompt review

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mad cow change concerns prompt review  (Read 203 times)
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« on: March 08, 2010, 05:32:05 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/03/08/2839661.htm

The Government lifted the blanket ban on beef imports at the start of the month (Rural: Nadine Maloney)

Mad cow change concerns prompt review

Updated 3 hours 19 minutes ago

The Government lifted the blanket ban on beef imports at the start of the month (Rural: Nadine Maloney)

The Government lifted the blanket ban on beef imports at the start of the month despite concerns the move could hurt Australia's beef industry.

But Agriculture Minister Tony Burke has put that decision on hold to allow for a full import risk analysis to be conducted.

Mr Burke says his intervention was in response to significant community concern about lifting the ban.

"People want to know absolutely that we will be retaining the best possible food safety standards," he said.

"Certainly it is an unusual situation for a minister to personally intervene. The level of community concern, I believe, has been sufficient to add that level of formality to the process."

Mr Burke says the assessment will take two years to complete and during that time only beef from New Zealand can be imported.

The Federal Opposition - which had said lifting the ban would put Australia's beef industry and disease-free status in jeopardy - has welcomed Mr Burke's decision as a win for common sense.

The Cattle Council of Australia, meanwhile, is concerned another two years of banning beef imports will damage Australia's trade relationship with the United States.

Council president Greg Brown says the group wants strict scientific testing, but importation should be allowed as soon as possible.

"The protectionists have gotten into this argument and they don't want anything at all to come here and that's very concerning for us," he said.

"All the talk about American beef being infected with BSE and we don't want it here... it must be terribly damaging to our relationship with what is a very good trading friend."

'Say no'

Almost 9,000 people have joined the Facebook site Support Aussie Farmers - Say No To Imported Beef since the import ban was lifted.

The group said many consumers wanted imported beef clearly labelled in supermarkets.

Founder of the page, Donna Morrison from Drysdale in Victoria, says Australian consumers have a right to know what they are eating.

"It just makes me so happy to find so many more people out there like myself that are passionate about this country, about its farmers and about our rights," she said.

"The majority of people and myself would prefer to support Australian farmers and back Australian farmers and eat Australian beef.

"It's the best in the world."

My cousin spent some of the 1980's in the UK when Mad Cow's Disease was in full swing....she cannot donate blood now because of it....

someone has got to put breaks on this ludicrous government we have now...

sure, they abolished work choices (a good thing).....but that was only thing in its favour...

the Governor General should sack this government...

I feel quit frantic having labor as our government now... there appears no end to their idiocy.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Sonex

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:49:21 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Similarly Japan does not want to buy gm canola, which is now being produced in Australia.  We really did have the best produce to sell, untainted by being genetically modified or with any risk of mad cow disease.  I agree with you Caskur, the ban should have stayed, it was to our benefit.
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 05:12:16 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I only have either butter or virgin olive oil.. I don't touch anything else...

good for the Japanese making a complaint..
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!