Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 29, 2024, 07:05:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Up in Smoke: Marijuana Toasts Memory

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Up in Smoke: Marijuana Toasts Memory  (Read 556 times)
caskur
Administrator

« on: July 23, 2008, 09:04:04 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

By Robert Roy Britt, LiveScience Managing Editor

posted: 13 March 2006 04:01 pm ET

If you can't remember the headline of this article or are already struggling to recall some of the words at the beginning of the story, try hard to recall how much pot you smoked in your youth.

A new study finds those who've used a lot of marijuana have worse memories and don't think as quickly.

It's not the first study to suggest pot hurts memory, but the findings are stark.

In one memory test, long-time uses remembered seven of 15 words, on average. Non-users remembered 12 of 15. On a decision-making test, those who had rarely smoked pot had impaired performance 8 percent of time, while long-term tokers had 70 percent impairment.

The results are detailed in the March 14 issue of the journal Neurology.

The study involved 64 people age 17 to 49 selected from a larger study group. They were split into three groups: those who had smoked four or more joints per week for more than 10 years; those who'd been smoking for five to 10 years; and those who had smoked at least once but not more than 20 times and not at all in the past two years.

The middle group consistently scored in between the other two.

"We found that the longer people used marijuana, the more deterioration they had in these cognitive abilities, especially in the ability to learn and remember new information," said Lambros Messinis of the Department of Neurology at the University Hospital of Patras in Patras, Greece.

A separate study in Neurology last year found higher blood flow velocity in the marijuana users even a month after they stopped smoking. Researchers said the change could help explain other studies that have revealed memory problems in pot smokers.

A Harvard Medical School study in 2003 found lasting memory impairment in people who had started smoking marijuana before age 17, when the brain is still forming.

And research published in November indicated that heavy marijuana use might put adolescents who are genetically predisposed to schizophrenia at greater risk of developing the brain disorder.

Some 3.1 million Americans age 12 and older use marijuana daily or almost daily, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. In 2004, 5.6 percent of 12th graders reported daily use of marijuana.

http://www.livescience.com/health/060313_pot_brain.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 06:58:30 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I hate drugs, especially marijuana. When I was younger, like every young person, especially ill informed ones like myself, we thought it really cool to try new things. I never got addicted like I have seen some people get addicted so I consider myself one of the lucky ones. I never liked being stoned except one time and that was with a really small amount. Every other time, I was given too much. I remember twice getting terrible stomach aches from smoking the ****…so much for saying it is a good pain killer because it is NOT TRUE….sorry, codeine and paracetamol make better pain relievers and the drug codeine is opium related, basically….it is a derivative. I am sure the marijuana plant has its uses but smoking the crap isn’t one of them.

The really big change with me back in my early twenties when I went with a man who regularly smoked it and when I decided one time I didn’t want to share some with him, so he went ahead smoked some  and the started playing with the rubics cube. He kept saying to me, “look, look babe, I have it solved it, I have solved the problem with the rubics cube” over and over, and when I realized he was just delusional it suddenly dawned on me that, “my god, he has no real perception and if he THINKS has solved the rubics cube problem, what must he think when he is driving us around the town, stoned?”…..nope, that was when I realized, this drug is DEFINITELY NOT safe.

Later, that same man who owned his own business was welding near thinners, stoned off his **** and burned the workshop down with everyone’s car inside and both of his legs up to the knees.

It is NOT cool to see friends killed in car accidents, [marijuana related]….nor is it cool to see friends lose an arm or an eye in marijuana related car accidents. It is not cool to see friends kill themselves riding motorcycles….it isn’t cool….come on ex-druggies and ex recreational druggies….speak up and let everyone know how you feel. Don’t let the druggies spread the rumours it is safe, and “natural” and “the God Plant” or any other false clichés….

Former ill informed dope smoker steps off soapbox, brushes skirt, thanks audience for applause and ducks for cover!!
Report Spam   Logged
Damion Hellstrom
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:15:20 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've never done drugs, nor have I ever had the urge to use them.  I do really feel sorry for those who end up getting adicted to them.
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:19:08 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I've never done drugs, nor have I ever had the urge to use them.  I do really feel sorry for those who end up getting adicted to them.

trust me, you haven't missed out on a thing!!!
Report Spam   Logged
caskur
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:52 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

Some 3.1 million Americans age 12 and older use marijuana daily or almost daily, according to the National Institute on Drug Abuse. In 2004, 5.6 percent of 12th graders reported daily use of marijuana.

This is probably why Americans aren't as worried about smoking pot. That isn't a very high statistic.
Report Spam   Logged

caskur
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 09:01:41 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

This article attests to people having impaired memories and that would affect proceedings in courts for instance. If the only eyewitnesses in a homicide were a bunch of drug **** morons at the crime scene, the lawyers for the defence would argue their accounts were inadmissible. 
Report Spam   Logged

Outlawed
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:20:51 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have a sister who has lived with a marijuana smoker for years. It is very sad to see her giving up on life. All she says is she wants him gone. There is no motivation to do anything after working hours except sit around, watch sport on TV and smoke drugs. My sister usually goes out and hopes when she comes home, the husband has gone to bed.
Report Spam   Logged
caskur
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 02:46:47 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have a sister who has lived with a marijuana smoker for years. It is very sad to see her giving up on life. All she says is she wants him gone. There is no motivation to do anything after working hours except sit around, watch sport on TV and smoke drugs. My sister usually goes out and hopes when she comes home, the husband has gone to bed.

Let your silly sister know that in this day and age, women are free to leave their husbands without being hung or stoned to death. No pun intended.
 Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Outlawed
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 03:06:07 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Maybe if she holds out long enough, he will drop dead and she can collect the lot.

No use letting his half go to waste.
Report Spam   Logged
Assassino Requintado
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 07:32:14 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I haven't smoked pot since high school, and not very much of it then. I'm a martini drinker - one before dinner on the weekends only, and occasionally, in winter, some cognac with my after-dinner espresso and cigar. I don't believe in clouding one's mind with drugs and alcohol. I believe that if you need to do that, there is a grave lacking in your life and you should seek ways to fix that, not hide from it in a cloud of smoke.

I do have sympathy for alcoholics and addicts. They are, according to medical journals and the A.M.A., sick people. However, I've seen more than enough of them treated and living decent respectable lives, and there is so much information available on getting treatment (12 Step Groups are free of charge, are they not?) that there is no excuse for them not to get that treatment. Other than the fact that they enjoy being stoned losers.
Report Spam   Logged
Omnia
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 07:58:25 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I hope I can ferret my way through expressing what I want to say.
 I have never taken drugs, and only drink alcohol  very occasionally,
but I know and have worked alongside, many that have and still do. 
There is in my opinion a link between drugs, alcohol, and the artistic soul,
which manifests in artistic works   [this is not absolute, cut-and-dried, but generally speaking]

Artistic, creative people tend to have higher, greater sensitivities than the general population.
They are tuning in to the energy levels and realities that are both above and below the norm.

I do have more to say ~ but unfortunately I’ve run out of time right now . .
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 08:02:49 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

They demonized cigarette smoking and hallowed dope smoking….now while it might be prudent with cigarettes, ….[I’m talking the public, not the governments here]….I have seen dope really destroy people’s lives.

In my state Western Australia, it is decriminalized and has been for more than 8 yrs.

They gave in…..pity! If you have the same problem in the USA eventually…..and more than likely you will….your government didn’t do their homework well and if young people get behind the wheel of cars and kill fathers of 6 coming home to their families, or people losing limbs and burdening society in accidents, you’ll only have yourself to blame.
Report Spam   Logged
Omnia
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 11:10:19 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I wrote ~
I hope I can ferret my way through expressing what I want to say.
 I have never taken drugs, and only drink alcohol  very occasionally,
but I know and have worked alongside, many that have and still do. 
There is in my opinion a link between drugs, alcohol, and the artistic soul,
which manifests in artistic works   [this is not absolute, cut-and-dried, but generally speaking]

Artistic, creative people tend to have higher, greater sensitivities than the general population.
They are tuning in to the energy levels and realities that are both above and below the norm.

I do have more to say ~ but unfortunately I’ve run out of time right now . .

So, plodding on . . .

Along with this sensitivity comes [with some], perhaps,
the sensitivity and vulnerability to the ongoing forces of daily life and the world we live in,
which many others are able to more easily slough off.
It's as though their greatest asset is also their greatest liability [enemy].

If their coping mechanisms are not as they need to be for this situation
[with some the increased sensitivity and lack of coping mechanisms coming hand-in-hand],
overindulgence and addiction result.

The drugs and alcohol at least offer an anaesthetizing effect for all they are feeling.
Some remain with their crutch and become addicted, even destroyed by it.

There is the belief by some that alcoholics/drug addicts, in general,
tend to be more sensitive types to begin with, and turn to alcohol for their 'coping skills.'

Now, I'm not presenting this 'analysis' as the final, absolute truth . . .
however, simply from what I've observed, it's something I've come to believe. 
There are exceptions of all kinds to it.

However, it is something for others to perhaps, consider.

Omnia ~
Report Spam   Logged
caskur
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 11:42:06 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

The "arts" make people feel good whether that is singing, dancing, writing, drawing, etc. That is an important part of being human, "to feel good."

In some people, the feeling of being drunk makes them feel good so they become addicted to that physically.

I do not espouse to the idea that drunks and druggies become more creative. Before they became addicted to the vices they were once children and still had creative abilities.

Addicts like non-addicts have creative and non-creative people alike.

I saw a doctor talking to a person on tv about weight and diabetes and this doctor was verbally laying into this woman about her weight, and I know for a fact, that normal weight people get diabetes too. I didn't see him attack the normal weighted person with the same vigor.

Everyone appears to look for something to blame, "oh they are too sensitive" "oh that is "emotional eating." There is love addiction too and that doesn't involve drugs but displays powerful convictions.

Natural highs are unbeatable.

I agree that alcohol will stop someone feeling if that is what they want. I've seen people take up alcohol when they've lost their spouse and it isn't a pretty sight.

I don't really know any drunks who don't hold down jobs.

All abuse catches up with a person in their middle years.

There are apparently two types of addicts recognized, the primary and the secondary. The primary addict becomes one from the first drink and the secondary ones becomes an addict from heavy social drinking. I should imagine it is the same with any drugs.

Report Spam   Logged

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 12:15:22 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I had four grandparents who I loved dearly.

The two grandmothers drank….one grandfather was a reformed drinker and one never drank at all. He was the best but he died the youngest…

Of the two grandmothers who drank, one was creative and brilliant and the other was not.

My drinking creative Nanna was my favourite person. She was a writer and a cook….lol and that is about it.

There might be a lesson here but I don’t know what it is. Cool

I do know my drinking creative Nanna once made me laugh when she said she was very upset having her last tooth out because she wouldn’t have the gas they used to use for the job. Grin She also said that if she had been born in my time, she probably would have been a drug addict…..once under the influence of alcohol, she told me she was a communist….LOL

oh and one last thing, one of her favourite authors was Jack London because not only was he an author but a drunk too...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!