Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 29, 2024, 05:38:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Is this trivial? - Boy Charged 4 Receiving Stolen Goods

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is this trivial? - Boy Charged 4 Receiving Stolen Goods  (Read 116 times)
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« on: November 16, 2009, 01:45:12 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

I believe in equal rights for all and I believe we have it where I come from at least....however, whenever "racist" is used here.....that kills a persons plight for me immediately..

there is a stink in the courts here over a 70 cent stolen Freddo Fog [chocolate] and a black kid is being hauled before the courts over it...he has been charged with "receiving stolen goods"....the authorities [lawyers] are complaining that its a small issue since the value of the item is only 70 cents and the kid is only 12 or something.....everyone knows and I have seen with my very own eyes how much blatant thieving they do despite getting very well paid with public funds...

you know, in the old days before people were paid welfare and got government assistance....there could be argued about some types of thefts being justifiable....without them you simply starved...but not these days...there is no excuse for theft..where I come from at least..

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,26357465-948,00.html

Boy, 12, fights Freddo frog receiving charge

Warwick Stanley, AAP

November 16, 2009 02:00pm

A 12-YEAR-old boy will fight charges that he received a chocolate Freddo frog allegedly stolen from a supermarket in regional WA.

A lawyer for the boy, who appeared in Northam Children's Court on Monday, said he would plead not guilty to the two charges of receiving, which carry similar penalties to those of theft.

The boy is alleged to have received the chocolate from a friend who had stolen it from a supermarket and to have received a novelty sign stolen from another store.

The combined value of the frog and the sign is no more than several dollars.

Police said outside the court that the boy's arrest and charging was justified and that he had previously come to their notice without being charged.

Acting Superintendent Peter Halliday, of Northam police, said charges against juveniles as young as 12 were only laid as a last resort.

"It's not about the value, it's about stopping children from offending,'' Supt Halliday told reporters.

He denied there were any racial overtones to the matter and said police employed a number of methods to try to keep juveniles out of the court, including cautions and the use of juvenile justice teams.

"When they don't work it's entirely appropriate that we escalate matters to the children's court,'' he said.

He said it was a matter of ``needing to do the right thing not only by the community but also by the child involved''.

WA Aboriginal Legal Service chief lawyer Peter Collins, who is acting for the boy, would not comment on the matter outside court.

He had earlier described the prosecution as ``scandalous'' and said the situation was unlikely to have arisen if the boy had come from a ``middle class, non-Aboriginal family'' in Perth.

Mr Collins told Fairfax Radio network and the ABC on Monday that the boy had missed a court appearance last month because of a family misunderstanding.

He said when arrested, he had been apprehended at school and imprisoned for several hours in a holding cell at the local police station.

"The conditions in those cells are appalling and completely ill-equipped to hold young children,'' he said.

"The fact of the matter is he's 12, and these are the most trivial charges imaginable, and it can hardly be a justification for this kid to be brushed up against the courts to teach him a bit of a lesson.

``It's not hard to imagine that if this had happened to a non-Aboriginal kid from an affluent Perth suburb with professional parents that this wouldn't be the situation.''

The boy was bailed to appear in court again on February 22 for the setting of a trial date.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!