Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 28, 2024, 04:50:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Is the American Justice System Screwed? -

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Is the American Justice System Screwed? -  (Read 163 times)
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« on: August 27, 2009, 05:48:42 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I say yes......most definitely..

Breast-feeding while drunk: is it a crime?

Last February, police in Grand Forks, N.D., were called about a domestic disturbance at the home of 26-year-old Stacey Anvarinia. When they arrived, Anvarinia was drunk and slurring her words--and she was breast-feeding. The officers arrested Anvarinia for neglect of her six-week-old infant on the grounds that alcohol can pass from mother to child via breast milk. They never determined her blood alcohol level, but they declared her "extremely intoxicated." The baby was taken to the hospital for an examination and Anvarinia was locked up on charges of child neglect. She pleaded guilty to the charge, a Class C felony, in state District Court in June.

Today, according to the Grand Forks Herald, Anvarinia was "sentenced to a six-month term, which she can potentially serve at least part of at a substance-abuse treatment facility."

"I'm very sorry for what I did, and I know it was wrong," Anvarinia told the judge. "And I would like to continue working toward getting my daughter back."

The incident has grabbed international attention and sparked a debate on whether it's safe to drink while breast-feeding--and whether it's a crime if you do.

Many women were outraged that Anvarinia was put in jail. "Since when is breast-feeding while drunk a crime?" writes Dr. Amy Tuteur, a retired obstetrician and gynecologist in Boston who has been following the case on her blog, the Skeptical OB. "Is it even a danger to the baby's health? There is certainly a theoretical risk that a baby can be harmed by breastfeeding from a chronically intoxicated mother. There is no scientific evidence that breastfeeding during a single episode of intoxication is harmful to the baby in any way."Auteur is right: the medical research is quite murky. It's a difficult issue to study because researchers cannot ethically conduct controlled research on intoxicated women who breast-feed. As a result, doctors depend mainly on anecdotal evidence.

The American Academy of Pediatrics considers limited consumption compatible with breast-feeding and says excessive alcohol consumption can lead to drowsiness, deep sleep, weakness and abnormal weight gain in an infant.

Dr. Jack Newman, member of the La Leche League International's Health Advisory Council, says in his handout More Breastfeeding Myths: "Reasonable alcohol intake should not be discouraged at all. As is the case with most drugs, very little alcohol comes out in the milk. The mother can take some alcohol and continue breast-feeding as she normally does. Prohibiting alcohol is another way we make life unnecessarily restrictive for nursing mothers."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfmoms/detail?entry_id=44676#ixzz0PHJJQzHl

Americans are nuts...there are no two ways about it...

I'll never get over them jailing a woman for breast feeding a three year old.....I actually know a woman who did that as well.....and while most women have weaned their kids far earlier than that, it wasn't a jailing offense in my view...

Americans treat women like dirt.....
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jodes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:53:09 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Years back mothers would mix brandy in with the babies milk to help with colic. After I had my daughter I hhad severe wind pain in my abdomen and shoulder (I had a caesarean with her) I was given by the nurse what they called "The Mixture", it contained mylanta and brandy, tasted like **** but it worked.
While I never actually drank while breast feeding, I don't think the odd drink would hurt the baby through the milk unless you were drinking all of the time (which I would consider abusive)...it is certainly less a problem than smoking while pregnant and breast feeding.
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 06:18:01 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

My sister and also my sister in law had colic babies and gave their kids gripe water by the gallons that used to contain alcohol and their kids grew up to become alcoholics/binge drinkers….the trouble with some mums is that if it tells them that one teaspoon is OK, they think 2 teaspoons is twice as good and of course, we know it isn’t.

Education is the key and misinformation has always been the problem. Not everyone gets a full education…

Parenting classes should really be introduced as the norm along with English and maths and social studies/history…

When alcohol was taken out of the gripe water, cot deaths were greatly reduced.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!