Xtra Smileys
[Open]
Flame Damnation
March 28, 2024, 05:10:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:   

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Login Register  

Black Comedy - ABC Suspends "Chaser"

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Black Comedy - ABC Suspends "Chaser"  (Read 693 times)
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« on: June 05, 2009, 03:14:27 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

In Australia this week a controversy about a comedy section in a popular ABC government run station show has been hotly debated. The subject was winding up viewers using cancer kids, their hospital stays and related charity organizations like the Make a Wish Foundation charity. I didn't see the show and yes, saw the highlights on news shows. I think it was off but then so are plenty of other comedy subjects that prevail and considered "off"....are we becoming too sensitive?....I say YES, we are....the only line that I cannot stand being cross is winding up victims of paedophiles....that is the line I personally draw....everything else is fair game though imho...when comedy involves kids, for some reason people think they are a protected species and I say, no way....laugh at the world, what other choice do we have?

ABC suspends Chaser for two weeks after dying kids skit

Caroline Overington
June 06, 2009

THE ABC last night suspended for two weeks the satirical comedy The Chaser, following outrage over a skit that made fun of the last wishes of dying children.

ABC managing director Mark Scott said The Chaser's War on Everything would resume screening on June 24.

The decision, made with ABC director of television Kim Dalton, followed the Making A Realistic Wish Foundation skit that went to air on Wednesday night.

[...]

The Chaser team later released a statement saying they were disappointed with the ABC's decision to take the show off the air.

"We were keen to keep making the show, so we're disappointed by the decision and we don't agree with it, but that aside, we'd like to apologise," it said.

"The piece was a very black sketch, obviously too black, and we're really sorry for the significant pain and anger we have caused."

FULL STORY: http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25594839-16947,00.html

here is the said controversial stint

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

bella
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 07:27:51 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

that's awful
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:51:29 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Like Addams Family Values...black comedy...
Report Spam   Logged
caskur
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 08:01:49 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Someone who thinks a little like you caskur. An opinion about the Chasers skit I thought you might like to read.

Black humour helps
Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:24am AEST

I didn't laugh much at the Chaser's Make a Wish Foundation skit, but I wasn't offended either. I am more offended that someone should lose her job over it and the program be suspended.

Two of my sons died from an undiagnosed degenerative neurological condition, one at five-and-a-half and the other at four years. As we cared for them while attempting to find a cure, people said "I don't know how you do it".

The truth was that we plodded from day to day, with endless tests, delays and waiting rooms. Our moods were elevated by the possibilities of a new treatment and were crushed by subsequent failures, as each child deteriorated.

We were determined to fight for our children, and that occasionally lead to cranky disputes with treating doctors and anyone else who seemed to be causing our misery.

The other thing that kept us going was black humour. We discovered that we weren't the only ones and when we had time to swap notes with other suffering parents, it was restorative to laugh at how rude we could be, at the spew and the slobber.

For me, the kind of black humour attempted by the Chaser is absolutely vital, but I think that the joke didn't work probably because of the obviously weak target. I could also understand that some suffering parents may irrationally identify the Chaser's joke with the cause of their troubles. And then, of course, a feast was spotted by the usual do-gooders and shock jocks.

More Chaser, please.
Report Spam   Logged

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 08:14:41 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Funny thing about that is, it happened to me. One of my dogs was burned to death in my house fire….the most disgusting thing to happen to her and made us very angry with the arsonists….a fantastic dog, she was….and yet, when I saw “Crackers” two months later….the movie and the famous blue heeler BBQ when he lunged in the air for the steak and was fried, I burst into laughter….

It does work…black humour works…

I absolutely agree with the opinion of that writer….the woman who lost her job over it, should never have lost her job at all and should be reinstated immediately…
Report Spam   Logged
caskur
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 08:30:30 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

I am sorry about your dog.
Report Spam   Logged

caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:57:30 am »
Reply with quoteQuote

Check your emails..
Report Spam   Logged
caskur™
Swing Voter
Administrator

Tortured Artist

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 11:53:42 pm »
Reply with quoteQuote

This was funny.....the Opposition Leader of Australia called for the resignation of the Australian Prime Minister over an email that turned out to be fake....hahahah

Malcolm Turnbull
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site!